9.24.2010

Just Made Me Love It Even More

Something awesome happened today. Mrs. McKell (my piano teacher) and her husband are 2 of the 4 lion caretakers for Leo and Una (the UNA lions). Today, she was doing all the cleaning and stuff by herself, so I decided to pay her a visit to say hi. Well I ended up getting more than I expected. Mrs. McKell gave me a personal tour of the habitat! I have always wanted to see the backstage to a wild animal habitat. She gave me a very detailed tour. I learned about how much the lions eat, how the caretakers bring them in at night, how they load the lions for football games, and everything else. I also got to walk out to the lions. There is a double fence between their habitat and the audience, and I walked right between them. Leo and Una were laying right up against the fence. I could have petted them if I wanted to. Oh and something else very interesting: Mrs. McKell said that usually when a stranger is that close to the lions (in the area where only the caretakers go (and that very rarely happens)), Leo usually keeps a good eye on that person, and Una usually tries to scare that person. Thing is, they were perfectly content that I was there, like I was one of their caretakers. Every time I get the opportunity to experience things like what happened today, my desire to become a zoologist grows stronger and stronger. I really do feel like this is what I want to do.

1 comment:

  1. How cool, maybe one day you'll be one of the caretakers and can show me around... in my wheelchair on a outing from the old fokes home. :)

    ReplyDelete